If your dog has a particular condition or weakness, use our Food Energetics Chart to help prevent disease and restore balance:
- Feed according to the seasons – Summer feed neutral, cool and moisturizing foods; Winter feed warming foods.
- Avoid extremes (e.g., don’t feed only foods that are Yang)
- Consider the general temperature preference of your dog – seeking warmth or cold areas in the home etc
- Consider the TCM properties of certain diseases:
- Immune system too Yang: Skin disease/ear infections often characterized by Heat and Damp (discharges, redness, inflammation), acute fever, acute infections, abscesses, allergies, autoimmune, arthritis with inflamed and swollen joints, acute hepatitis, hot spots, skin infections, hyperactivity, aggression, agitation, hyperthyroidism (rare in dogs).
- Immune system too Yin: Chronic kidney disease, arthritis often characterized by cold (dog is seeking warmth), chronic fever, chronic infections, tumors, anaemia, diabetes, loose stools, generalized weakness, chronic digestive problems, hypothyroidism, Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
For more information see also, Food Energetics Chart: